Saturday, December 24, 2011

Roddy and Demi...For Brotherly Love



Roddy and Demi 

For Brotherly Love



by

Murray D. West
December 24, 2011
Paris, Kentucky


Havre de Grace


“Ah Demi, me good lad, this colt is a star.
I’m ‘tinkin’ you need him and he’ll take you far.”

“Malarkey me man, I’ve ‘eard it before.
The last couldn’t run, the ‘orse was so sore!”

“Well I’m sorry ‘bout that, ‘twas an honest mistake,
For I hadn’t heard tale ‘bout the drugs he did take.”

“Exactly me point, what I’m talkin’ about,
You’ve always got somethin’ you’re tryin’ to tout!”

“Now don’t be too ‘arsh and run off at the mouth,
For I’ve heard of your deals that quickly went South!”


Havre de Grace





“For sure that it’s true that not all turn out well,
But you’ve always a nag you’re tryin’ to sell!”

“Now you’re speakin’ the truth, for that’s what I do,
‘tis sellin’ fine ‘orses to folks just like you!”

“So Roddy just tell me – and be talkin’ real slow -
Why this ‘orse is so special - I’m needin’ to know.”

 “Ah, I’m glad that you asked, now your gettin’ real smart,
For a man needs to know why his cash he should part.
While this ‘orse is a looker - of that there’s no doubt! -
His grand way of movin’ makes me ‘eart want to shout!”

“Now how’s he so different from all of the rest?
Just how do you know that this colt is the best?”

“Ah, begorra me Demi, you just watch him go,
For he uses his quarters and just seems to flow.
‘ardly touches the ground, so light on his feet,
I won’t be surprised if he never gets beat!”

Havre de Grace

“That good now you’re thinkin’?  Why he sounds like a star!
If he’s all that you’re sayin’ he’ll carry me far!
Me brother, I’m tempted, now really I am;
I’m trustin’ you Roddy – you sure there’s no scam?”

“Ah Demi, I’m hurt deep and I’m really in pain!
Do you tink I would do this for personal gain?
Me own flesh and blood, and you’re doubtin’ me word,
It may be the saddest ‘ting I’ve ever ‘eard!”

“Now Roddy I’m sorry, don’t pay me no ‘eed,
The tear in your eye tells me all that I need.”

“I’m sorry to blubber, but you’ve cut me real deep.
Just forget the whole deal, and your money you keep.”

Havre de Grace

“Now let’s not be so ‘asty, there’s no backin’ out,
For you’ve told me you’d get ‘im, no turnin’ about!
And I’m sorry you’re ‘urt for I meant you no ‘arm,
But I get a mite tense when you start with your charm.”

“Me charm is it now you’re complainin’ about?
‘tis that snoz on your face I’m tempted to clout!”

“Now Roddy I’m sorry, let’s leave it at that.
Just go see the man and with ‘im have a chat.”

Havre de Grace

“Well, if you insist we’ll again carry on,
But we’ve waited so long the colt may be gone.”

“Then move on, me Roddy, don’t stand ‘ere me lad,
From all that you’re sayin’ I need that ‘orse bad!”

“Then I’ll get right along, try to get the deal done,
But I pray he’s still there, that no other ‘as won!
Now the price will be ‘tirty, perhaps a mite more,
Cause the ‘orse is so special he’s lookin’ to score.”

“Well do what you must, just get me the ‘orse,
For I’ve got a feelin’ he’ll be a great force.”


Gio Ponti

So off now went Roddy to barter the deal,
And thought, that just maybe, this horse he might steal!

He arrived at the barn, a sly grin on his face,
Then he looked for the owner all over the place.

“Ah, good day to you sir, and just ‘ow do you do?
You’ve a ‘orse for the sellin, I’m tinkin’ that’s true?”

“Ah Roddy, how are you, it’s been quite a while.
McCarthy’s still booming I see by your smile.”

“Well ‘tank you so kindly, the pubs still a hit,
We’re makin’ our payments, to that I’ll admit.”

Gio Ponti


“It’s a grand place you have there, a fine place to go,
‘less the Irish stop drinking you’ll make tons of  dough!”

“Well, no worry I ‘ave then, I’m all set for life,
‘fore the lads stop their drinkin’, I’ll take me a wife!”

“Let’s get to our business my good natured friend,
It’s the colt that you seek by the message you send.”

“True I saw ‘im at Keeneland, a right decent sort,
But that day, I recall, ran a little bit short.”

“I remember it well, he needed the race,
Got stuck on the engine contesting the pace.
I thought I could steal one away on the lead,
But wasn’t expecting so much early speed.”



Gio Ponti

“Well I’m ‘tinkin’ I like ‘im, and so does me man,
But I’m worried it’s so long since last that he ran.”

“Not to worry my friend, he just popped a splint,
And now that’s it’s cool his condition is mint!”

“Well I’m ‘appy to ‘ear it, so let’s take a look,
He’s a fine lookin’ chestnut unless I’m mistook.”

“He is that indeed, he’s the top of the line,
I doubt there’s another you’ll find that’s so fine.”

So they brought the colt out and walked him about,
And though he said naught, Roddy wanted to shout,

Gio Ponti


For the horse was a knockout, as grand as can be,
And it’s seldom you’ll see one as perfect as he.

Now playing it cool, Roddy made not a sound,
He circled the horse, moving slowly around.

He hemmed and he hawed, cleared his throat once or twice,
Then made his pronouncement – the colt was “quite nice!”

“Well he’s not quite the ‘orse I recall from the past,
And the look of his knees says he just may not last.
At a price though he’ll do, there’s a spot he can win,
So we might as well now let the hagglin’ begin.”

“Well Roddy you’re too sharp and there’s no fooling you,
So I’m thinking I’ll sell for around thirty two.”


Majesticperfection 

“‘tirty two ‘tousand, now you don’t stand a chance!
For his wheels may well stop him short of the dance.
And though he’s a looker, that much I concede,
His gaskin is weak, not the power I need.”

Again Roddy walked, and he talked soft and low,
He felt all the tendons, then uttered the blow…

“Well ‘tank you my friend, ‘tis too much that you ask,
I’ve others to see, so I’ll get to that task.
And good luck with this colt, may you make a fine sale,
But the price that you’re askin’ you best might curtail.”

“Well what would you offer – though I really don’t care –
But I’m willing to listen to anything fair.”

Roddy knew that he had him and closed for the kill,
It was here that he sparkled and showed his great skill.

Majesticperfection

“Well I’m ‘tinkin’ that fifteen is more a fair price,
But I’m willin’ to bargain to be more precise.”

“Fifteen thousand you offer, now that’s quite a blow!
You’re slighting this horse for your bid’s way too low.
But just for you Roddy I’ll cut you a deal,
In turn you be fair, for I’ll not let you steal!”

“‘tis a shrewd man you are,” Roddy said with a grin,
“And I see here the chance of a bargain is ‘tin.”

“Exactly my friend, now we’ve both been around,
So tell me how twenty five thousand might sound?”

“It still sounds too steep, I can see there’s no ‘ope,
For my buyer would ‘tink that he’d ‘ired some dope.
Now here’s what I’ll do, though I’m losin’ me ‘ead,
It’s eighteen I’ll give, though he may shoot me dead!”


Haynesfield

“Now Roddy you know that he’s worth more than that,
His father’s a son of the mighty Storm Cat!
But I sense that you want him, so here’s my last deal,
Twenty two for you Roddy - you know he’s a steal!”

Roddy picked up his phone and pretended to call,
Talked soft in a whisper as he paced in a stall.

Then he shut off his phone, to the man turned around,
“Twenty ‘tousand’s the offer, no more will be found.”

Now silent the seller did measure the odds,
With the hint of a smile his head slowly nods.

“You play a tough hand but my backs to the wall,
But for twenty you own him, halter and all.”

“Ah you play fine yourself, and you did yourself proud,
And you got for your colt what the market allowed.
Now to sweeten the pot, this I’m willin’ to do,
Give you cash for your ‘orse so the tax you can screw.”


Haynsefield

“You’re a good man my Roddy, and we have a deal,
But it’s best that the price here we never reveal!”

“Exactly me ‘toughts, for it’s best all around,
No record recorded can ever be found!”

Then he jumped in his car and away Roddy went,
To the pub for a drink - not to church to repent!

And there at the bar, now to no great surprise,
Sat Demi awaiting, with hope in his eyes.

“Well Roddy, me fine man, just how did it go,
Do I own the greased lightnin’…tell me it’s so?”

“Now I must tell you Demi, he bargained me ‘ard,
For the ethics of business he ‘olds no regard.
‘eld firm to his ground, and would not give an inch,
No matter me tactics, the man would na’ flinch.”


Haynesfield

“Oh Roddy don’t tell me I don’t own the ‘orse -
Though I’m knowin’ you gave it your best try of course.”

“Well Demi, we ‘ave him, though we paid a dear price,
But I’m tellin’ you brother, the colt’s very nice!”

“So how much did we pay?  Come out with it man.
Just tell me the price, and I’ll make me a plan.”

“Well he started at forty so I met him ‘alf way,
But the man wouldn’t counter, refusing to play!
So I went up to ‘tirty, just like we ‘ad said,
But he said ‘fore he’d take that, he’d see the ‘orse dead!
As I thought long and hard, and an angle I sought,
It came to me Demi, ‘ow this fight could be fought!”

“Well go on me good man, don’t be stoppin’ ‘ere now,
I’m delighted you got ‘im, but just tell me ‘ow!”

“I knew that past ‘tirty the ice was quite ‘tin,
So I sweetened the pot to help us ‘ere win.
Offered cash, did I Demi, cash on the line!
Said no record for us would be very fine.”


Haynesfield

“And just what did he say?  Did he go for it then?
I see now you’re laughin’ - you’re a man among men!”

“You’re too kind to me Demi, just doin’ me job,
But I’m glad that we got ‘im…the man’s such a snob!”

“So ‘tirty it is, and ‘tis cash to the man -
I’ll get you the money as quick as I can!
I owe you here Roddy, your commission you’ve earned,
And you’ve worked for each penny where I am concerned.”

“Now Demi I won’t take good money from you,
Let’s call it all even for that which I blew.
Sure blood is much ‘ticker - ‘cept the good Lord above -
And there’s naught that is ‘ticker than brotherly love!”



  
Murray D. West

Paris, Kentucky
12-24-2011



 ....a little fun on Christmas eve.  My best wishes for a joyous holiday season to all (and especially to Roddy and Demi!!!)....





































1 comment:

  1. i choked on my eggnog from laughing...roddy got him again!

    ReplyDelete