Friday, December 16, 2011

Roddy and Demi...""Tis Not what You 'Tink!"

Roddy and Demi -

“ ‘Tis not what you ‘tink!”

by

Murray West


“’Tis malarkey,” he said, as he scratched on his head,
“the ‘orse is too slow, and the jock is near dead.”

“Ah, you make a good point, and ‘tis food for good thought,
but sometimes our eyes tend to see what is naught.”

“Now what are you sayin’ and babblin’ about?
Each time that he’s run, he’s quick to strike out!”

"...but no time, you're remembrin', this rascal they send!"
“Exactly me point, me quick-witted friend,
but no time, you’re remembrin’, this rascal they send!”

“So you’re sayin’ they stiffed him, and gave him a race,
‘cause you’re tinkin’ this colt likes to race on the pace?”

“Well, maybe I am, and maybe I ain’t,
but I’m tellin’ you, Demi - the trainer’s no saint!”

Keeneland
“Ah, this ting that you’re sayin’ is makin’ me tink,
but my tinkin’ is fogged by the ting that I drink!”

“Ah, Demi don’t fret, for it’s all for the best -
though we’re likely to get odds of tirty this test!”

“Begorra me prince, now I must have a bet -
but I’ve work to be done and I’ve not finished yet!”


“Well, it happens I’m off to the track for some fun,
and I’m tinkin’ I’ll be there to see the ‘orse run.”

“Ah, Roddy me lad, could you ‘elp a man out,
and wager me grand on this ‘orse that you tout?”

“Well, I’m guessin’ I could if you’ve made up your mind,
for ‘tis rarely we’ll find such a bet of this kind.”



“I’m tinkin’ you’re right, ‘tis a chance I must take,
and if he should win, ‘tis a fortune I’ll make!”

“Well, just for you Demi, I’ll carry your bet,
but your chickens, don’t count, for he ‘asn’t won yet!”

So our Roddy departed with Demi’s good cash,
walked round the first corner…then away did he dash!



To the track he did go - now that he did do -
but our scheming Roddy planned Demi to screw!

For a bet he would place - but not on that nag!
That horse couldn’t win for any price tag!

Here Roddy was thinkin’ the bet he would book,
then wager the money from Demi he took,

"...no way could he fail..."
On another at Keeneland, no way could he fail,
if the rider just sat there and steered by the tail!

Soon the horses were loaded and stood in a line,
and Roddy was thinkin’ “now everythin’s fine.”

But his favorite he stumbled and got a bad start -
shocked Roddy so bad that it near stopped his heart!

"Now where's me damned 'orse?"
Here the jockey now panicked and charged to the fray,
and he bumped and collided with all in his way,

And he knocked them off stride, interfered with their course,
‘cept the nag he did miss - he was such a slow horse!

Yes, his favorite had passed with the nag safely wide,
while the others he crushed as he tossed them aside.

Hmmm....Roddy's accomplices???  Suspicious, to say the least!
Now into the stretch with the wire just ahead,
Roddy’s favorite is leading, the others near dead!

All alone at the wire and winning by nine,
the nag crawls in second…the rest far behind!

Roddy’s jumpin’, and cheerin’, and shoutin’ out loud,
and he’s givin’ high fives to all in the crowd.

"Roddy's jumpin', and cheerin', and shoutin' out loud..."


When a roar from the fans causes Roddy to turn -
and the sign that he sees starts his stomach to churn!

For the board shows the Inquiry Sign on the tote,
and it threatens our winner, his place to demote!

Forever it flashes, first off and then on -
while Roddy is sobbin’, “Me fortune’s near gone!”

Stormy weather at Keeneland for our boy, Roddy
“Now Roddy me man,” from the rear comes a call,
“will ye look at me luck, for I’ve now won it all.”

With a chill Roddy turns, and there he does stand,
Demi yellin’ and screamin,’ “I’ve won tirty grand!”

"I've won tirty grand!"
And sure as you’re shootin’, the tote tells the tale,
the nag’s now the winner…and Roddy looks pale!

Now Demi steps forth, a great smile on his face,
“Can you believe it, me Roddy, we’ve won the damn race!”

“Begorra, you’re great luck, I’m glad I could come,
and I’ll slip you a grand from the money I’ve won!”

Moment of victory, denied our Roddy


“But Roddy you look poor - are you not feelin’ well?
Perhaps some good whiskey your sickness will quell.”

Ever quick to recover, Roddy here finds a smile -
though his color be gone yet, for quite a long while!

Puts an arm to the shoulder of “Demi, me man,”
while his mind quick is plottin’ a devious plan.

To the bar they depart, here to share a stiff drink,
when we hear Roddy sayin’, “Now ‘tis not what you tink…”

No losers at Keeneland



Murray D. West,

Paris, Kentucky
December 16, 2011







Disclaimer:  The names used in this story are fictitious, and any similarity to living persons, particularly any called Roddy and Demi, is purely coincidental…honest!  MDW






Proud papa with his beautiful daughter, just cashed in on Demi's win!



Ken, still trying to figure out this photography thing.  Plug away, my man
























1 comment:

  1. Twas a very nice rhyme,
    Yur words in good time;
    Very easy to immerse;
    Yur the master of verse!

    ReplyDelete